1. Camel, the ugliest, most-ish talented prog band alive. Concept albums!
2. Dungen, prog Swedes who make me feel the way I did when I realized that King Crimson records had the ability to burn tacky-macrame-shaped holes in my soul. That’s a good thing.
3. King Crimson, esp. circa ’73 John Wetton-time. Book of Saturday, anyone?
3. Renaissance, holy jeezus. Live at Carnegie Hall had been on my turntable since I was 12.
4. Manowar. What can I say? My “boyfriend” when I was thirteen decided Master of the Wind from Triumph of Steel would be our song. I agreed because I’d already decided as much but had not run the idea by him yet.
5. Tool. I cannot, and will never be able to, properly convey the love I have for this band. But I won’t try anymore, now that the median age group at their concerts includes several thousand Hot Topic patrons who think Aenima is Tool’s debut album.